Travertine is a form of limestone found around springs and rivers. It is made into tiles for flooring and comes in different earth colors. It gives natural beauty to a home. You can use travertine flooring for both interiors and exteriors. Travertine tiles are usually installed by professionals.
What are the features of travertine?
Travertine is naturally made of small holes created by bubbling carbon dioxide. This makes it very porous and soft. When making it into Travertine tiles, the small holes are filled with resin during manufacture to create a more finished and refined look. Travertine comes in different earthy color tones.
It has a rough texture in its a natural state. It is usually polished to give it a better glossy finish. It comes in four finishes namely tumbled, polished, honed and brushed.
What are the advantages of travertine?
Travertine has a number of advantages over other types of flooring. Some of them are discussed below.
- It is very durable: Travertine is a hard material. It is slightly lower than marble in terms of hardness. It can withstand a lot of pressure without showing any significant damage. It can tolerate extreme temperatures. This durability makes it a material of choice for many outdoor and indoor settings. Though the weathering effect occurs over time, with regular care and maintenance travertine floors can last for many years.
- Travertine is available in many finishes and adds style to the flooring. Since it comes in many earth tones, it adds natural beauty to the floor. It comes in shades of gray, gold, tan, and light brown colors and the distinct style it offers cannot be reproduced with any other type of flooring material.
- Easy to repair. A broken tile is easy to remove and replace.
What are its disadvantages?
Even though travertine is very durable and stylish, it has some disadvantages.
- It requires extra maintenance: Spilled liquids can easily soak into the materials because of the tiny pores on its surface. This can lead to stains which can difficult to clean.
- Travertine can be quite heavy. This makes installation difficult and it needs a lot of time to be installed.
- Travertine is expensive when compared to other general flooring materials. There are stores that sell cheap travertine tiles in Sydney. You can buy from these stores to save cost.
How to care for travertine floors?
Travertine needs some extra maintenance when compared to some other types of flooring. Cleaning travertine is the same as cleaning any other natural stone floor. It is important to use the right cleaning products for the tiles. Regular sweeping is necessary to prevent sand and other debris from scratching the floors. Because the floor surface is porous, spills should be wiped up immediately to prevent stains. Avoid using acidic or alkaline cleaning products on the floor to prevent damage.
Travertine floors are susceptible to weathering over time. This weathering effect can be prevented by periodically applying a stone-sealing agent. The sealing also covers the microscopic spores on the surface of the tiles to prevent easy staining.