Granny flats also called Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs), are self-contained home extensions or dwelling units located on the grounds of a single-family home. Granny flats are becoming increasingly popular all over the world, especially in Australia and the USA. Granny flat is meant for the elderly as the name suggests so that the grandparents in the family can get their privacy as well as can be close to the family. A granny flat in Dural, Australia usually consists of a bedroom, kitchen, living area, bathroom and laundry.
Benefits of Granny flats:
- Ensures the family is close: By building a granny flat, not only the grandparents get their privacy and independence but also are located close by to the family. It is a great way to allocate living spaces to families to that extent.
- Affordable: The cost of building granny flats is relatively inexpensive when compared to building main houses. Also, they share the same electricity line and water line instead of building a new one.
- Additional rental income: The house owners can rent the space and incur additional income as rent. With an increase in the cost of living everywhere, it is necessary to get an additional income by renting the space.
- Increases property value: It helps enhance the value of your home when you plan to sell it in future by adding value to your home.
- Flexibility in design: Although granny flats are small, you have the liberty to choose from a wide range of designs based on your needs and purposes.
- Multipurpose: It is not meant only for the elderly, as it can be used by youngsters who would like to live independently, as a guest house for accommodating your guests and visitors. It can also be used as a space for carrying out leisure activities.
Points to consider before building a granny flat:
- Council approval: Before building a granny flat it is necessary to get the consent and approval from the local council in your area to validate if the extra space allocated for the granny flat is eligible to accommodate changes.
- Size restrictions: It is important to measure the land size and include the measurements as declared by the territory or state regulations which provide restrictions on minimum land size. Each state in Australia has different size restrictions. For instance, a granny flat in Dural might recommend a granny flat to be built in 60 square meters area.
- Privacy: By building a separate house on the backyard and allowing the elders or the children to stay there, it develops a sense of self-confidence and independence in them. They get to live on their own and yet need not travel long distances to unite with the family during get-togethers. Besides this, if you are planning to rent the granny flat for tenants, you can make sure their presence does not interfere with your privacy and their privacy.
- Pricing: Planning the budget for building your granny flat is essential before you start building it. By keeping the designs simple and cutting down costs on unnecessary things, you can modify your budget and make it as cheap as possible without compromising on quality.